On April 1, 2020, CDC announced a new, non-competitive grant to award at least $40,000,000 to help strengthen the tribal public health system, organizations, urban Indian Health organizations, or health service providers in response to the COVID-19 emergency. The Grant Notice is titled “Supporting Tribal Public Health Capacity in Coronavirus Preparedness and Response” (CDC-RFA-OT20-2004).
Eligible applicants can include Native American tribal governments and Native American tribal organizations. Applications in response to the funding notice are due May 31, 2020.
The funds will be available for a variety of activities but are not limited to:
- Emergency operations and coordination activities—These activities can include establishing emergency operations centers, incident management systems, continuity of operations plans, public health management, and risk assessment of travelers and others with potential COVID-19 exposure, provide equipment, supplies, and deal with shipping activities
- Health information technology may include but is not limited to supporting data systems necessary to support and focus on COVID-surveillance and population building. The activities are not intended to support health IT systems related to the direct healthcare delivery system
- Surveillance and epidemiology may include but are not limited to case identification, management and risk assessment of travelers and others with potential COVID-19 exposure, data management, reporting, surge staffing, and procurement of supplies and equipment to strengthen bio surveillance
- Risk communications activities plus the distribution and use of medical material, in order to strengthen information management
- Activities to strengthen countermeasures and mitigation may include coordinating with healthcare systems plus other activities
- Surge staffing and infection control activities and other activities to strengthen surge management
- Other preparedness and response activities related to COVID-19
Go to https://www.grants.gov/custom/printSynopsisDetails.jsp for more details on the grant notice and for more information contact TribalCOVIDnofo@cdc.gov.