Norway Seeks Technology

According to market intelligence available from the U.S Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration https://www.trade.gov, Norway spends more of their GDP (10.5%) on healthcare than any other country in the world, except the U.S. and Switzerland.

The state-dominated medical system covering 85% of total healthcare costs, is striving for technological advances and organizational improvements. However, since budget constraints exist, there has been a rise in chronic disease and the growth of the aging population

The health and social welfare system in Norway is predominantly publicly financed, primarily through a national insurance tax which is a collective insurance plan and includes all of the citizens. Citizens requiring medical treatment in the country are guaranteed medical care and user fees are limited.

Norway spends an estimated $7 billion U.S dollars annually on their hospitals, plus the fact that $2.5 billion in U.S dollars has been earmarked for the Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services to use to upgrade hospitals or to build new hospital facilities.

Estimates from public health authorities and trade associations indicate that the total Norwegian market for medical and dental equipment and supplies is over $2 billion in U.S dollars. Public healthcare authorities are estimated to account for about 90% of the purchases for medical equipment, and for private purchases account for the remaining 10%. Almost half of the medical equipment is sold to hospitals.

With a rapidly aging population, an increase in chronic diseases, and increasing healthcare costs, the Norwegian government has stated that telemedicine, and e-health are national priorities. Electronic Patient Journals, e-prescriptions, and a national health portal are being implemented.

Telemedicine is seen as an important part of future acute medical care. Technology will enable radiology to be shared among hospitals, the ear,nose-throat field will use more video conferencing, specialist consultations in dermatology will be available through video conferencing, plus heart rhythm/sound comparisons using technology will take place.

In addition, clinical information systems, home care and personalized health systems, services for remote patient monitoring, and systems for integrating local, regional, and national health information networks, could represent significant potential for U.S. companies.

U.S companies are estimated to supply around 30% of Norwegian purchases of medical equipment. The development of high end, quality products and the ability to use a tailored marketing approach are key factors for U.S companies to take into account when researching the Norwegian market.

Go to https://www.export.gov/article?id=Norway-Healthcare-Technologies for more information. To contact the Norwegian Center for Integrated Care and Telemedicine, go to https://ehealthresearch.no/en.

Share Button