The recently released paper by Brookings, https://www.brookings.edu titled “How Artificial Intelligence is Transforming the World”, describes how Artificial Intelligence (AI) is transforming how people are going to rethink how to integrate information, analyze data, and use the resulting insights to improve decision-making.
Darrel M. West PhD, Founding Director for the Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings, https://www.brookings.edu/center/center-for-technology-innovation and John R Allen President of Brookings https://www.brookings.edu/experts/john-r-allen, both authors of the paper, discuss AI’s application across a variety of sectors.
These sectors include finance, national security, healthcare, criminal justice, transportation, and smart cities plus the paper discusses data access problems, algorithmic bias, AI ethics and transparency, and legal liability for AI decisions.
The paper makes a number of recommendations for moving forward with AI while still protecting important human values by:
- Encouraging greater data access for researchers
- Investing in government funding in unclassified AI research
- Investing in new models of digital education and AI workforce development
- Creating a federal AI advisory committee
- Engaging with state and local officials to enact effective policies
- Regulating broad AI principles
- Taking bias complaints seriously
- Maintaining human oversight and control
- Penalizing malicious AI behavior and promote cybersecurity.
Go to https://www.brookings.edu/research/how-artificial-intelligence-is-transforming-the-world to view the paper.