On March 13th, NIH issued a Request for Information (RFI) looking for suggestions or ideas related to the NIH FY 2012-2018 Strategic Plan for the Office of Disease Prevention (ODP). NIH is making plans to improve the prevention research portfolio.
The ODP wants to have input from researchers in academia, industry, healthcare professionals, patient advocates and advocacy organizations, scientific or professional organizations, federal agencies, and from other people in the public. Organizations are encouraged to submit a single response that reflects the views of their group and the group’s membership as a whole.
NIH objectives for prevention research include six strategic priorities:
- #1—Systematically monitor NIH investments in prevention research
- #2—Identify and promote prevention research areas that should be expanded
- #3—Promote the development of new and innovative approaches related to prevention research
- #4—Encourage collaborative prevention research projects and coordinate the projects across NIH and with other public and private entities
- #5—Identify and promote the use of effective evidence-based interventions
- #6—Increase the visibility of prevention research at not only NIH but across the country
The response to the RFI is due April 14, 2013. For more information go to the March 13th Federal Register (page 15960) or email Wilma Peterman Cross at email@example.com.